The Only Reason to Apply Early Decision
You are confident Boston University is your top choice school and the best fit for you.
We are looking for students that have no doubt they are ready to be a Terrier, who love the way they look in red, and who are ready to dive into the most challenging and exciting four years imaginable. If you’re eager to take on Boston, “America’s College Town,” and you’re serious about success after graduation, then why wait?
Read on for all the details about how to apply Early Decision.
What is Early Decision?
Early Decision and Early Decision 2 are application options available at Boston University by which students apply and receive an admission decision early (see deadlines), and, if admitted, commit to attend BU by withdrawing applications to all other schools.
What’s the difference between Early Decision and Early Decision 2?
You are encouraged to apply under Early Decision if you are confident BU is your top choice, perhaps have visited campus and felt immediately at home, or like the idea of having your college search finalized earlier in your senior year. If you are also confident that your first quarter grades are strong, applying Early Decision may be a smart choice for you. (If you are unable to make it to campus for a visit, we recommend taking BU’s virtual tour.)
Early Decision 2 is a great choice if you also know BU is your top choice, but perhaps need more time to visit campus, prepare your application, or refine your college list.
Regardless of whether you apply Early Decision or Early Decision 2, BU gives careful consideration to both groups of applicants.
Early Decision Application Instructions
- The SAT and ACT are not required for students applying Early Decision and Early Decision 2 for fall 2021 and spring 2022.
- If you choose to submit your test scores and are applying Early Decision, you must take the ACT no later than the October test date or the SAT no later than November.
- If you choose to submit your test scores and are applying Early Decision 2, you must take the ACT or SAT no later than the December test date.
- International Students: You must take the TOEFL, IELTS, or DET exams by November 15 for Early Decision or by the end of December for Early Decision 2.
Early Decision Agreement:
- If you are applying using the Common Application, you must indicate your interest in the Early Decision program on the BU member section of your application. This section of the web page explains the binding nature of the ED program and must be ?signed by the applicant, a parent or guardian, and a school counselor.
- If you are applying using the Coalition Application, you must select Early Decision from the Decision Plan within the Term section and download the Early Decision Agreement. This agreement explains the binding nature of the ED program and must be signed by the applicant, a parent or guardian, and a school counselor. To submit a completed Early Decision application through Coalition for College, you must upload a completed and signed Early Decision Agreement form in the Term section.
- In addition to applying as an Early Decision applicant, please review our instructions for international applicants.
Once You Receive an Admission Decision:
- If admitted, you must submit a nonrefundable enrollment deposit and withdraw your applications to all other colleges and universities. Please make sure that all application materials are uploaded to the MyBU portal.
- If you are an Early Decision applicant who is not admitted, your application may be deferred for consideration during the regular admissions cycle. In that case, you will be considered for admission only after submitting your mid-year grades. You will be notified of a final admission decision in late March.
Financial Aid & Scholarships
- Early Decision applicants who apply for financial aid and are admitted to BU will have 100% of their demonstrated need met. You will be notified if you receive funding with your admission decision.?Please note that only US citizens and permanent residents are eligible for need-based financial aid.
- Early Decision applicants for one of our full-tuition scholarships, such as?the Trustee Scholarship, will not receive notification until late March.
- Learn more about how to apply for financial aid and merit-based scholarships?such as the Presidential Scholarship, which annually awards recipients $25,000.
*Please note: most?merit scholarships?require you to apply by December 1.